Saturday, March 12, 2011

Earthquakes: 137 and counting

It was a wild night last night.
I've always thought that one of the small little earthquakes we usually have around here are not a bad way to wake up in the morning: like a strong gust of wind swaying my hammock.
Last night, however, my hammock was assaulted by tropical storm force winds. Earthquakes woke me up at least 4 or 5 times during the night, and I could hear the obnoxious "Emergency- Earthquake!" warning going off on my phone over and over (what a useless feature: like I don't already KNOW there is an earthquake?).

I checked the USGS website, and it shows there have been something like 137 earthquakes in the last day! I surely believe it! I can hardly spend 20 minutes in my apartment without feeling it move. I feel pretty safe here though, so I'm not worried.

...you know what is really scary? When I applied to JET, I asked to be placed in Sendai. Good thing after all that that didn't happen. I don't think I'd be here to write this blog if it had.

Cheers,

shakin' Baer

No comments:

Post a Comment