Thursday, March 24, 2011

Time for a break - Spring Break, that is.


The last few days I stopped reading the news. I am already exhausted of the suspense.
It was only through my family grapevine that I heard about Taylor Anderson, a JET in Miyagi, who marked the first US casualty. It's creepy to look at her photos; they are so like mine. While the disaster obviously had a much more devastating effect on the Japanese residence, I can't help but feel the most disturbed by her death; our places could have so easily been exchanged.

I am not as worried as was reflected in my previous post. I am still trying to stay mostly indoors and out of rain as much as possible. Mostly, I am concerned about food and water contamination. I threw out my lettuce after spinach was banned, but I eye the milk and cucumbers in my fridge and wonder if I shouldn't just do without vegetables for the next four months. I get updates from the Gunma JET community periodically, but I noticed that news from abroad is much more alarmist than that which is circling Japan. I've decided to stick to getting my news from The Japan Times, which I feel does a better job of staying on topic.

The Governor of Gunma gave a press release, which you might possibly find interesting.

Anyway... it is now the end of the school year. Tomorrow is closing ceremonies, marking the beginning of spring break.
I have never been so happy for spring break in my life.
Months ago, Chingyi and I made plans to spend spring break, 7 blissful days, in the Kansai regions, visiting Hiroshima, Osaka, and Nara. Now, quite by coincidence, that area just happens to be the safest possible place for us to be. This will be a fabulous vacation if only for the fact that, for 7 days, we don't have to even THINK about radiation, contamination, blackouts, or messed up train schedules. Honestly, I never thought that would be a motivator in my lifetime.
I wish we could stay for a month.


goin' south Baer

No comments:

Post a Comment